Bobby's busy studying for finals so I'll be your tour guide for this featured post :)
Our friends, the Sandbergs (Duncan's twin brother from another mother) came along with us on this road trip and we had such a fun time. We camped for two nights and switched off babysitting while the other couple went to the Hill Cumorah Pageant and then during the day we did it again so that we could attend the Palmyra Temple. It worked out fabulously and the boys had a great time playing outside all day.
This is the trek there, Duncan did pretty well.
Within the first forty minutes of the 5 hour drive we realized that we had forgotten our pillows (I love my pillow!) and our jackets. We thought it would be super hot like it was here in the Burgh so we decided not to bother with the sleeping bags either. We regretted that one too!
He loves being surrounded by his stuffed animals and other favorite things.
We took the boys the first night while Chelsea and Swen attended the pageant. Can you tell that they LOVED playing in the car? So many buttons and gadgets to play with and with those pajamas I'd say it looks like Christmas in July!
Bobby and I, along with the boys, all hung out in these chairs and sang primary songs until they were out.
Palmyra Temple
I really had to use the restroom as we pulled in and of course we guessed wrong on the entrance door so we had to walk all the way around the temple to enter.
I was very grateful it was a small temple.
I always LOVE getting to the Celestial room in the temple (especially one I haven't seen before) and experiencing the beauty and peace there.
We visited the Sacred Grove while we were there as well. It looks just the way it's portrayed in movies and pictures but for me, I loved experiencing it first hand. So peaceful, I would go there to pray too!
I used to get Church history events and places mixed up (still do!) but visiting Nauvoo and Palmyra has helped me sort and understand.
OK, humor me while I share my sunflower pictures taken at the Smith Farm
I was having so much fun playing around with the pictures, they were really bad in their original state. So, this was an effort to save them from being deleted forever...
Alright, moving on...
Here is a picture from the Smith Farm looking towards the Temple. The Sacred Grove is directly behind us.
Family Picture Time!
Here is our sweet little camping set up.
Bobby and I at the Hill Cumorah Pageant...it's just about to start!
That is a 10 level stage! There were approximately 800 volunteers in the pageant!
A family that was camped near us was a part of the pageant and we were able to visit for a little bit and learn more about the behind the scenes. I found it quite impressive and awesome that they arrive two weeks before the first showing and for those two weeks they assign roles, learn the dances and have spiritual firesides from sun up all the way past sun down! Completely voluntarily!
I loved seeing the pageant. The stories from the scriptures were easier to grasp probably in part because the dialogue covers more than just what the scriptures state. It sort of filled in the events and emotions, set the scene (literally), and became more real. My favorite part was when Christ came and called all the children to come to him. Probably 100 little children came running up to him from all over the stage and sat with him. Life seems so simple in these moments. The Spirit is there and truth is being spoken.
Duncan had the tent all to himself the 2nd night while we slept in the car.
We ALL slept better.
Duncan had his pack n' play and most of the blankets in the tent. We slept warm and didn't wake him up with our bodies (he just CAN'T sleep with us next to him which is totally fine but sometimes it would be nice!).
He was a "Happy Camper"...the 2nd night.
This is the original printing press location for the Book of Mormon. We were able to see all the labor involved (and there was a lot!) and learn where the phrase "Cut to the Chase" comes from.
This was what the book publishing store would have looked like back then. I was loving the packaging and twine look.
"Kiddie Kone" at the local Chill n' Grill.
The Large had 8 scoops on it!
Moroni Statue at the top of the Hill Cumorah
The view of "Home" after a long drive. It always feels good to come home.
We had a great time visiting the sights, camping, and spending time with friends. I'm so glad we were able to go!
2 comments:
Sara, you look so beautiful! I love the photos of Duncan covered by toys in the car. We do that to Adam...once he gets bored with one, we just place another on him. Works well. Miss you guys!
Cool trip!
Post a Comment